Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cabbage. Really???


That's right, I'm writing about cabbage. It's an approved vegetable for Ideal Protein but other than coleslaw, sauerkraut, or boiling it for hours on St. Patrick's Day, I can't say it's a regular vegetable in my house, especially with three kids.
I was discussing cabbage with a friend of mine around St. Patrick's Day. I had half of a head leftover because I'm the only one who eats is when it's boiled.
She looked at me and said, quite simply, "Sauté it. My kids love it that way."
Who would have thought?!
Two months later, I have finally gotten around to trying it, and let's just say there's a new veggie in the house! It's so easy and truly one of those recipes where a little olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme goes a long way. So... if you're looking to mix it up a bit with the veggies, here's a new way to make cabbage.

Sliced Cabbage


Sautéed Cabbage:

Ingredients:
1/4 of a head of cabbage
Cooking spray for a non-stick pan
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Your favorite dried herb seasoning
Sauté with a little olive oil and salt and pepper

What's Next:
Slice the cabbage.
Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
When pan is hot, add cabbage and drizzle with additional olive oil.
Add salt, pepper and seasonings and cook until browned and a little wilted.
Serve as a side to any meal.

Other Thoughts:
If you have leftovers, they are great on a salad.
You can also add some sliced leeks and sauté those at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. I had a client who lost 60 lbs on the cabbage diet. The weight loss motivated him to keep going and he is doing well. I love the taste of cooked cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE cabbage ! Thanks for the new ideas ! I can't eat a lot of raw veg so Im always looking for new recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe, it looks delicious. I think I will be trying this for lunch today as I have all of the ingredients. Cabbage is very underrated with lots of great benefits. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cabbage salads in the summer months. Great for scrubbing the intestines!

    ReplyDelete